Welcome to Blake's Take, a small space in God's world

I hope you find this insightful and challenging in your daily life. May you not leave the same way you came in.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Guide to Correct Living: Desires Phil. 1:19-26

This was last night's Bible Study. I thought it went very well.

19 For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. (Break 1)

21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. (Break 2)

25 And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, 26 that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. (Break 3)

Break 1
What is “this?” – Paul’s present sufferings at the hands of the believer’s and government.

What will help deliver him from these things? The believer’s prayers and the Spirit’s supply.

When was the last time you prayed for a fellow believer who you knew was struggling?
Let’s stop right now and pray for someone you know is struggling.

Paul’s hope (desire) was revealed in two ways:

1. That he would not be ashamed. (Paul’s heritage (what he leaves behind))

2. That Christ would be magnified in his body. (Paul’s actions while being in temptations and trials)

“Does Christ need to be magnified? After all, how can a mere human being ever magnify the Son of God? Well, the stars are much bigger than the telescope, and yet the telescope magnifies them and brings them closer. The believer’s body is to be a telescope that brings Jesus Christ close to people. To the average person, Christ is a misty figure in history who lived centuries ago. But as the unsaved watch the believer go through a crisis, they can see Jesus magnified and brought much closer.”– Warren Wiersbe

“The believer’s body is a ‘lens’ that makes a ‘little Christ’ look very big, and a ‘distant Christ’ come very close.” – Warren Wiersbe

Our lives should magnify God whether we are alive or dead. How do you want to be remembered?

Break 2

What s something you are passionate (have a strong desire) about?

Would this desire be enough to stay alive for? Would it be enough to die for?

Now, put it into this sentence: But if I am to live on for ______, this would mean _________ for me.

What would be the benefit for you, others, or Christ if you chose this?

Break 3

Now, are you confident in your greatest desire? Are you sure this is what would drive you?

Now, let’s change gears for the ending.

Would you being present here be any better for someone or would you being in heaven be better for someone?

Would you be in heaven? Remember, Paul is contemplating this because he is in jail awaiting a sentence on a life or death conviction.

Are you walking with Christ in such a way that people desire you to come to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment