Welcome to Blake's Take, a small space in God's world

I hope you find this insightful and challenging in your daily life. May you not leave the same way you came in.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Guide to Correct Service: Philippians 2:12-18

Philippians 2: 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, (Break 1) work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
(Break 2)

14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, (Break 3) among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life,
(Break 4) so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. (Break 5)

17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me. (Break 6)

Break 1

Therefore…this is a conjunction that means in consequence of that; as a result.

My Beloved, who is this? Deacons and elders and saints in Philippi.

Does this next line seem familiar? Not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. This thought is copied from Philippians 1:27.

Break 2

Let’s note the therefore again but this time with the comma’s. (Write out ch.2:9-11,12 and accentuate the punctuation.) Our understanding of “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” is because you must do it understanding that one day, whether saved or not, you will bow before Jesus as Lord and you will confess that Jesus is Lord, maybe not as Lord of your life but that Jesus is Lord of All.

Paul then writes that “it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.” So our work, if directed to please Christ, is the work of Christ because we without Christ cannot work out our salvation alone.

God’s good pleasure is not something that naturally we desire. We desire self. We desire our good pleasure but through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit the work of God wills and does the will of God.

Break 3

How should we do all things? Without complaining and disputing.

Why should we not complain and dispute? So that you and I may become blameless and harmless, children of God.

What is the benefit of becoming blameless and harmless? We have no fault before a crooked and perverse generation.

Break 4

What will come from this lifestyle? You and I will shine like lights in the world. (Shine like the Stars)

What will be in the faces of other students as your shining like stars? It will be the fact that you hold to the word of Life, the Gospel.

Break 5

What are the benefits to leaders/people who have poured into you and I?
1. They can rejoice;
Why can those people/leaders rejoice?
2. Because mine and your lives shine like stars and it reveals those people/leaders have not run or labored in vain.

Break 6

“Yes,…,I am glad and rejoice with you all.” Now, this is regardless of situation or circumstance that Paul reveals his admiration of those at Philippi.

Now, let’s look inside the commas, “If I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith.” Paul gives a powerful illustration. Have you ever had someone just use you? Have you ever had someone show no appreciation of what you have done?

Have you ever used Jesus? Have you used Farmstead Baptist? Have you used your Sunday School teachers, pastor or even me? Let me say this…you live the life of a follower of Christ, I will be glad and rejoice with you all because we are all called to serve. I know ministers use the phrase, “I was called to the ministry” but that is incorrect; ministers are set apart for bi-vocational or vocational ministry. Everyone is called to serve.

I am pouring my life into this ministry, this church and you guys. I rejoice if you are walking with Christ and I should do so no matter how you treat me, although if you treat me bad then you might want to check your service.

You, just as me, should be pouring out your life in service to God and rejoice and be glad alongside me. Let’s rejoice together, let’s serve together and let’s expand the Kingdom of God together!

No comments:

Post a Comment